Sunday 27 November 2011

Against the norm: debunking feminist stereotypes

With starting this blog I have been trying to advertise to some of my friends and family. Mostly put the word out on the street that it does exist in cyberland. In the process of doing so I have found myself faced with the question of what is feminism? Or, you cannot be a feminist you don’t look like a *fill in every feminist stereotype here*.
            Yes some feminists do conform to one or several stereotypes associated with the earlier movements (particularly the second movement) but those stereotypes are not what defines us. A non-feminist does not enjoy being defined by one aspect of their being, so I never understand what gives them the right to place giant, exaggerated labels over the name feminist and define us all for the actions of some. Stereotyping is easy, it gives us as humans comfort to know what is expected in the unknown. I understand that. But on such large scales, stereotyping does more damage that it does good. I hate to break your illusions but not all Canadians live in igloos and not all feminists hate men, in fact I have not met a Canadian who lives in an igloo or a feminist who hates men. Neither stereotype is correct and neither provides much comfort to those assuming, yet they still exist.
Feminists are not our stereotype. Yes, dimensions of our stereotypes are true and they help to differentiate us from other movements, but there is nothing wrong with that either. Yes there are LGBTQ feminists but there are also straight feminists. Yes there are feminist that choose not to wear makeup or shave their legs or armpits, but there are also feminists that do wear makeup and do shave. Being feminist is being open to the realm of possibilities of human existence, and accepting that as human. People come fat, queer, trans, black, white, red, yellow and possibly orange. Being a feminist is to acknowledge unjust societal difference and to actively seek to eliminate it. People are people, all people should have equal rights and freedom of belief and speech. Feminism is this fight.
So to answer the world, I may not fit your specific stereotype of feminist, however my beliefs make me feminist. It is my belief not my assimilation to the stereotypes that make me feminist. Please remember that. So next time someone tells you aren’t a feminist, tell them to think again.

No comments:

Post a Comment