Thursday 1 December 2011

Consuming Christmas

This is my first Christmas working in retail. It is just December 1st and the mall is buzzing with people. Purchases have doubled. People are no longer buying only $20 or $30 items they are buying massive amounts of goods. Spending $80 to $100 instead of the usual $20-30. Seeing this trend makes me question how much our definition of Christmas has morphed to a consumerist definition.
            I remember when I was a child, Christmas was always my favourite. I won’t deny it, the presents were a lot of fun, but for me I loved being able to show other people I care for them. I loved being able to see family which I didn’t often get to see. I loved getting to have shortbread and hot chocolate in my pyjamas for breakfast. For me as a child and now as an adult, that sounds like Christmas.
 However parts of this definition are consumeristic. We buy each other goods to show them affection. We associate showing the idea of showing someone you care about them with buying them something. To me this seems backwards. I am not by any means saying that we need to stop giving gifts. What I am saying is that we need to rethink our idea of the holidays as something that is solely consumerist. What is wrong with making a gift or giving the gift of time. Showing someone you care by spending the time doing something for them or spending time with them. I’ve never seen any rules dictating what it means show someone you care. Sometimes the perfect gift for someone is something you find in a store. But I really don’t think we should be buying just for the sake of buying.
Not only do we need to stop buying for the sake of buying but I feel people need to buy smarter. Sadly a lot of products are made in workers overseas working for pennies to produce that product you are buying. I’m not going to go into all of the horrible things that those people are facing while making that product as that is a whole other conversation, but we need to remember and acknowledge that what purchase supports the way it was manufactured. Purchasing non-fair trade coffee beans is enabling systems that oppress coffee bean farmers.
Not only in aspects of manufacturing but we need to acknowledge any possible health threats from the product. Something I never knew was hidden harmful chemicals in a large number of popular brands of bath and beauty products. Be careful what you are using on your body. Be careful you are not supporting products that are unhealthy for you.
. Enjoy your time with your friends and family this Christmas. There is nothing more important in life. And remember, Christmas isn’t about consuming; it’s about being with the ones you love. So please be a smart consumer this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment