Tuesday 10 January 2012

Women are Women, Girls are Girls

Sorry for the large gap in time where I haven’t blogged. As everyone can contest, life gets crazy. I know that isn’t an excuse but that is mine. I will do my best to continue blogging as the new semester begins however school is a priority so I am sorry if I am absent for a while.

Anyway, I have something that I have really really really wanting to blog about for awhile now. Over the Winter Break I watched the movie “50 First Dates”. Such a good movie, or at least I think so. However in one of the very last scenes (*spoiler alert* sorry overt eyes if you haven’t watched the movie and do not want it ruined for you) Adam Sandler, aka Henry, goes to the memory hospital (unsure of its actual names so I will refer to it as the memory hospital) and reunites with Drew Barrymore, aka Lucy. Lucy suffers from a short term memory, so basically she has difficulty forming new memories and relives the same day over and over again. When Henry and Lucy reunite at the hospital Lucy shows Henry her art studio which contains a collection of drawings, paintings and sculptures of Henry. At this point Henry reveals that they had a past… blah blah blah… insert typical romantic comedy jargon here. At the end of this scene Henry says (I am saying quote from memory so please do not directly quote me, however I know the just, but not the exact wording) “It appears I am the man of your dreams, and you are the girl of mine.”
            Umm… excuse me?! “Girl of my dreams”. Why not woman, lady or person. But girl?!?! Why is he infantizing this woman who he loves. In a way it sounds very perverted that a woman falls in love with a man but a man falls in love with a girl.
            When I thought about it this is not exclusive to “50 First Dates”, has anyone ever watched “Toddlers and Tiaras”. A lot can be said about that show, that I won’t even be able to touch the surface but it helps to demonstrate my point. You look at those little girls, who are genuinely little girls of 4 or 5 years, or even younger (and older as well). These girls are put into Spanx and fake eyelashes and then pranced in front of 100’s to 1000’s of people. They are transformed into little women. May I add slutty little women, but little women none-the-less. They are girls, yet when we look at actual women they are now held against the standard established by these prostitotes. To be an actual woman you have to evolve from the image of these pagent princesses and evolve into a woman. However there is not much room to evolve if we are making these actual little girls into women while they are girls.
            How can actual women be women, if little girls are told to be women. Why can’t girls be girls and women be women. Why do we not distinctly differentiate between the two. Instead we have come to think of women and girls as the same entity. Women are girls and girls are women. To society they have become the same thing. This is wrong on so many levels. Girls should be girls. They should be allowed to be kids, not aged 20 years before they are out of diapers. At the same time women should be women. Allowed to dress and act as an adult and not treated the subconscious mindset that they are children.
            So to the writers and producers of "50 First Dates", good movie however Henry found the "WOMAN of his dreams"! NOT the "GIRL of his dreams".

No comments:

Post a Comment