Friday 27 January 2012

Compelled to Marry

Whether it is the holidays or just the right time, for some reason, I have a handful of friends and family that have gotten engaged. While I am excited for all of them and wish them all nothing but the best, I am starting to question the obligatory feelings we have to rush into marriage and a family. Most of the individuals I know that have just announced this grand new (4 out of 5 individuals) are under the age of 23, one just turned 20 before Christmas. I myself am a couple weeks away from being 21 and could not imagine having a ring on my left ring finger let alone preparing to manage a household and potentially a family. It may also partially be because I am single that I cannot image such things for myself, but being so young I feel I have to world and my fingertips and cannot wait to explore it.
            Some of the couples that have recently announced their engagement have not been together that long, the longest relationship out of the all of them is 6 years however a very rocky six years. The next longest is a year and a half. At our age how can we really know that it is someone that we want to spend our life with if we have only known them for such a short period of time. Let alone how can we truly understand what it is to be married. Marriage is a life commitment. Not a week, or a year but a lifetime! Don’t get me wrong I am pro-marriage however I do not think it is something that ANYONE no matter your age should rush into or take lightly.
            These people do love each other, I cannot deny that (or even speak of their love because I am not a part of their relationship, just an external viewer) but why do these couples feel so obliged to proclaim their love. What is wrong with waiting a little while longer. Why not continue dating or even live together. Why do these couples feel the need to legally bind their love and commitment to one another. What is our social fancination with legally binding love. Why can’t love be freeform, go with the flow. Why after such as short courtship are these individuals feeling compelled to legally bind themselves to their partners.
            I cannot speak of what it is like to be married, but it does not make sense to me. Does someone else have insight that I don’t have?

No comments:

Post a Comment