Tuesday 11 October 2011

Halloween Double Standards

Yesterday, my friend and I decided to spend some time window shopping. When we got to the mall we came across a Halloween store and decided to go in. I thought it would be exciting seeing all the different costumes and decorations however I ended up walking out of there a little more appalled than excited for the upcoming holiday.
            While there was decorations (all gory by the way) the majority of the store was dedicated to costumes. However when I began to take a closer look at the costumes for women I began to notice a disturbing trend: they were all slutty! The only costume my friend and I could find in the store that wasn’t at all revealing was a nun costume. A nun costume, go figure. Everything else from a fairy to German beer maid consisted of almost more packaging that it did fabric on the costume! Has Halloween become marketed as the whore of all holidays? Halloween used to be about pumpkins, witches and ghosts now it appears to be another excuse for us to sell sex.
            Something else that upset me was the differences between men and women’s costumes. I didn’t see a single “sexy” men’s costume. Instead they were long trench coats of doctors or uniforms of soldiers. Not only were they given noble occupations to dress up as but they were not showing a bit of skin. The first outfit I saw for women was a “sexy” M&M costume which barely covered her who-ha let alone anything else. Women get M&M costumes and men get doctors and soldiers. What kind of double standard is this?
            Women need the option to dress up for Halloween but not as sexed objects but as subjects with purpose. I realize sex sells but common people really a slutty M&M is what you find appealing?

No comments:

Post a Comment